Savour lavish lodgings in Paris. Then meander the Marne-Rhine Canal on a little barge that likes to live large.
We’re famous for adventures to far-flung destinations like Mongolia and Tanzania, but thought it was time to put our gorgeous gay twist on a quintessential European endeavour: a River cruise through France. It will be one of the smallest cruises we’ve ever offered, and the bantam boat is technically a barge…but there’s nothing utilitarian about the experience. Read on to check out our hotel in Paris, and see the vessel on which we’ll saunter along at four miles per hour.
Hôtel Duo? C’est parfait!
With a history that spans back to the 1920s, Hôtel Duo has been managed by four generations of women from the same family. Each added her own passion to the project, beginning with hospitality and culminating with design. In 2003, the family purchased the property next door to the original hotel, and the merging of those two hotels inspired its current reign as the fittingly named Hôtel Duo. Major renovations physically married the properties, with elemental juxtapositions like raw concrete pillars with classic original columns.
The hotel is conveniently located in the historic Marais gay village. You’ll be a short walk to Georges Pompidou Centre, the Louvre and Notre Dame. Inside, the main lobby surrounds an enclosed vertical garden. A perfect place for a breath of fresh air away from the madness of the city beyond.
Eat, Drink, and Be…Marie?!
Bienvenue Aboard the Beautiful Barge Déborah
With only 10 cabins aboard, this boat will be our home for one of the most intimate cruises we’ve ever offered. Barge Deborah is also one of the newest barges to navigate along the canal. She offers clean, distinct furnishings with royal purple accents throughout. And since she only travels at 4mph, you can also count on a leisurely laid-back vibe en route.
Each of the 10 cabins aboard features:
- 110 sq ft of accommodation – cozy but luxe
- All rooms have only twin beds, so apologies to the cuddlers
- Outside views from every cabin
- Air conditioning…a must if there’s a European heat wave
- A safe to store passports and valuables
- Private en-suite with shower
Beyond the comforts of your suite, the boat also offers:
- Sun Deck with loungers, parasols, and a hot tub
- A professional, gay-friendly English-speaking crew of 6
- Limited Wifi (depending on location)
- 6 bicycles if you want to stretch your legs during excursions
- An air-conditioned coach to carry us between transfers and stops
While Deborah is small, her cuisine is hugely impressive. Prepare to indulge in three- and four-course lunches and dinners that celebrate the regions we’ll visit. French wines are included with your meal (you may have heard French wine is definitely not bad).
The following are part of Deborah’s all-inclusive food service:
- breakfast buffet, multi-course lunches and dinners
- all drinks with meals (water, wine, beer, fruit juice, and coffee)
- light snacks after breakfast and before dinner
Please note: Champagne, grands crus from the special wine list, and drinks from the special bar menu are not included during meals but can be purchased separately. Any drinks outside of meal service are at your own expense.